Several weeks ago, before this blawg was born, I sent in a vocal recording to the Sending a Wave podcast, a program for fans of the Firefly television series by Buffy creator and geek god Joss Whedon. The podcast had teamed up with Browncoats: Redemption, a fan film for charity, to host a contest to find the voice of Redemption, the ship in the movie.
I didn’t really expect too much; I just thought that it would be fun to send in an audition and it would give me an excuse to play around with GarageBand on my MacBook. But yesterday I discovered that I was one of five finalists! Confetti!
In retrospect, and after listening to the clip I sent in, I think I might have taken the prompt to sound matter of fact “while still sounding cute” a little too seriously, as my voice sounds more anime and all-too-American than austere and all-knowing. These are the times that I wish I were a Brit … or French. *Le-Sigh*
You can listen to the other awesome contestants here, and vote for your favorite in the poll in the sidebar.
Photo: Dunechaser / Flickr
Ever wonder what you’d look like as a Star Trek character? Wonder no more. Cheez-It has partnered with the movie franchise, whose latest installment opens Friday, to allow fans to Trek-ify themselves.
With Trek Yourself, you can make yourself look like Capt. Kirk, Mr. Spock, a Romulan, or an officer. The only female choice is the officer so, natch, that’s what I picked. I mean, you can technically put your face on any of the other characters, but for me it just looked creepy. The Capt. Kirk and Mr. Spock avatars made me look like Bobby Lee playing dorktastic, dress-up, and the Romulan just made me look like a creepy, bridge troll. The officer fit just right.
Once you’re done picking your character, you can also pick from a handful of backgrounds, and have your character speak some pre-recorded lines or type in your own!
Jonathan Mann committed himself to writing and posting a song a day to his YouTube channel. The inspirations for the songs cover such diverse topics as Battlestar Galactica, Israel and Palestine, and Tumblr.
And what was his inspiration April 19?
Why, the torture memos of course.
Mann took the text of a portion of the memos released last week and set them to music. The result is a somewhat peppy guitar and piano tune that sounds like an unsettling mix of a CNN news anchor, Jack Johnson and the Moldy Peaches. Throw in some air quotes ala Dr. Evil, a couple of tortured-looking grimaces, and a split screen and you have yourself a music video. Check it out.
Nope. I’m talking about Playboy’s rankings for the top party schools of 2009 (link NSFW).
Playboy has named the University of Miami its top party school for 2009, with the school garnering the top “bikini index score” and beating out schools like the University of Texas-Austin and San Diego State University for the top spot. According to Playboy, the study took a scientific approach (link NSFW) to the ten best by “developing algorithms to equally weigh all of the things that are crucial to the college experience.”
Playboy took measure of the Bikini index, campus life, sports, brains and sex. It’s not my cuppa tea, but if you want to go to a school that’s known for its parties, here’s the list with all 25 schools. (NSFW)
And here’s the top 10. If the university has a law school, I’ve given you a link to the law school web site:
- University of Miami – School of Law web site
- University of Texas (Austin) – School of Law web site
- San Diego State University
- University of Florida – Levin College of Law
- University of Arizona – Rogers College of Law
- University of Wisconsin (Madison) – Law school
- University of Georgia – School of Law
- Louisiana State University – School of Law
- University of Iowa – College of Law
- West Virginia University
Photo: Elin B / Flickr
Yes, law school and the subject matter taught in it can be less droll and more “LOL!” At least as depicted by the members of The Libel Show at the University of Virginity School of Law. The show, which is similar to the New York University School of Law’s Law Revue, is:
“an annual theatrical production which has been humoring the Law School since 1908 (making us the longest running student organization on campus). Each year the Show lampoons our professors and life at the Law School through a variety of impersonations, song parodies, and skits. The Libel Show’s mission is to do everything within its power to help the Law School community enjoy raucous laughter.” (UVA’s Web site)
Above the Law posted a couple of preview videos from NYU’s 2009 Law Revue, and The Libel Show wanted in on the publicity action. They wrote ATL with a link to a video from last year that plays a bit like an odd mix of the Beastie Boys and the Backstreet Boys. A representative for UVA states that “in terms of humor … (the video) kicks the crap out of NYU’s Law Revue”.
UVA gets extra points from me for comparing a treatise by Chemerinsky (as in Erwin Chemerinsky, the dean of the new U.C. Irvine School of Law) to a thick booty.
“Excuse me! You don’t know what you do to me. Your booty triggers strict scrutiny. Fatal in-fact back that everyone can see. It’s thicker than a treatise by Chemerinsky.”
But ATL hits the nail on the head when they state its tough to get over “the resemblance between that one Con Luv Boy and Carson Kressley from Queer Eye for the Straight Guy.”
If you haven’t already, watch the vid up top, and watch the South Park-inspired vid below from NYU to come to your own conclusions:
The Blawgirl loves her a good chuckle (and referring to herself in the third person, apparently). And she also loves the clever things people do on April Fools’ Day. Here are what some pranksters have been doing around the world.
- A man and his emus. My favorite prank so far today has come from the dean of the University of Texas School of Law (via blawg Above the Law). Dean Lawrence Sager wrote an email to his students stating that he would be resigning his position at the law school in order to pursue his first love: raising emus. Sager writes:
“Some of my finest hours have been spent cantering across the Texas plains on the back of an Emu. They are stately, resplendent, Brobdingnagian birds, capable of carrying a man at full gallop the length of 30 hectares on a single hogshead of millet seed.”
UPDATE: According to Above the Law, the dean states that he did not write the letter, but he finds it very funny.
- All your CADIE are belong to us. Google releases CADIE, Internet-based artificial intelligence that has assumed control of the Google company and its goods and services. The setup is pretty elaborate, with CADIE, depicted as a boxy panda, developing her own YouTube page and blog.
- Twitter is the future. The UK’s Guardian newspaper published a story stating that it would go Twitter only.
- Scary clowns. Gizmodo.com has tons of scary clowns (that’s right. Clowns are effin’ scary) and appears to have been hacked.
- Be a Princess of Mars for only $99! Expedia.com is offering flights to Mars!
- New album from NIN. New NIN album ‘Strobe Light’ produced by Timbaland in Strobe-tastic, drum machine awesomeness. Posted by @trent_reznor on his Twitter page. The album is not free, mind you. It costs $18.98 plus a $10 digital convenience fee.
- The last Fark-tier. Fark will introduce a new social network beginning April 2 that looks eerily like some other social network, I can’t remember which.
- How much kyute is too much? A new breed of pet called the puppycat premiers on dogster.com.
- Disney park trifecta in So Cal. Orange County Metblogs broke news this morning about a third Disney theme park slated for Southern California (because the second one was sooo successful) that will be similar to Japan’s DisneySea. The Orange County Register’s Around Disney blog gave me a sad by calling up Disney mucky mucks, who swiftly called hoax. The concept is not too far fetched, as the idea of a third park has been kicked about for years, the Register states.
Find a massive, ever-growing (dare I say, extreme!!) list of April Fools pranks on TechCrunch.
I’ll update this page as I find things today!
By now, most of you have heard of Twitter, the micro-blogging service where you write what you’re doing in 140 characters or less. If not, you’ve been hiding with fellow luddites under a rock somewhere, or in North Korea, or under a rock somewhere in North Korea.
I, personally, am a fan of the site, and was delighted when I came across Twistori. The site pulls tweets, individual posts from Twitter, with the words love, hate, believe, feel and wish, and posts them in a beautiful stream of love, hate, beliefs, feelings and wishes. It’s Twitter as art (twart?).
Whether you’re dealing with the stress of applying to law school or the nail-biting of waiting for admissions (or, boo, rejections), I am of the mind that looking at cute things is as good, if not better, than taking aspirin.
If you don’t know me, let me explain: I am a sucker for all things cute, with special attention paid to puppies, kittens and baby elephants.
I’m one of those annoying people who stops folks out for a stroll with their dogs just so I can pet them (the dogs, not the people). And, yes, I know they come from evil, evil puppy mills, but I can’t help but smile and play with the puppies at the local pet store.
Today more than ever there is no shortage of sources for cute on the Interwebz, which makes my fluffy-puppy-LOLcat-baby-heffalump loving heart glad. LOLcats have their LOLs, and all’s right with the world. If you want to join me on this cute odyssey, here are a few places to start your search:
- Cute Things Falling Asleep. I think the name is pretty self-explanatory. This site is a collection of videos from around the Interwebz, mostly YouTube so far, of puppies, kitties, penguins, babies, elephants, etc., falling asleep and looking oh-so-adorable doing so.
- Cute Overload. An overload of mind-exploding and heart-bursting cuteness.
- I Can Haz Cheezburger. LOLcat central. If you haven’t been exposed to the wonder that is a LOLcat (a cat photo with a caption written in LOLspeak) this is a good introduction. And if you’re not familiar with LOLspeak, the site also offers a handy primer and a link to the LOLspeak wiki.
- I Has A Hotdog. The sister site to I Can Haz Cheezburger, this site has photos of dogs and puppies, or “goggies”, captioned in the LOLcat style.
- The Cute Project. A site with the laudable goal of collecting all the world’s cuteness in one place. World peace, one kyute at a time.
Photo: I Has A Hotdog
Here are the answers to the anagrams posted yesterday
1. Cabana Kaiser Bum Hos -> Barack Hussein Obama
2. Corny Egalitarian Song -> Antonin Gregory Scalia
3. Chlamydia Horn Tin Roll -> Hillary Rodham Clinton
4. Nosy Pelican -> Nancy Pelosi
5. Anal Parish -> Sarah Palin
6. Hogtie Thirty Men -> Timothy Geithner
Find anagrams for you and your friends’ names at the Internet Anagram Server.
I love words. I get giddy when I craft artful prose or pen a pithy phrase. And I am amused by things that have to deal with all of the above. Which is why it tickled me pink to find the Internet Anagram Server. Just type in your name, and the page generates a lengthy list of word combinations your name can make. Here are the anagrams of some famous people’s names. See if you can figure out who they are. Answers will be posted tomorrow at 6 a.m. PST!
1. Cabana Kaiser Bum Hos
2. Corny Egalitarian Song
3. Chlamydia Horn Tin Roll
4. Nosy Pelican
5. Anal Parish
6. Hogtie Thirty Men
About The Chronicles of a BlawgirlThis blawg follows Julie Anne Ines as she continues her law school journey as a 3L in Fall 2011. Learn more about her here. Find/stalk her online profiles using the social toolbar at the bottom of your browser. Email her at ja_ines (at) msn (dot) com. Thank you for reading!
Explore!1L 3L anagrams art book review books boyfriend browncoats cambodia chapman cheap eats cool cute deep dark secret deviant art deviantART Diversions firefly flickr frugal finds frugal living fun funny glawsip i can has thoughtz julie anne ines law school law school news law student law students legal issues legal news life lolcat music penned posts phnom penh shark attack student loan debt teenie me tweets of the day uc irvine wordless wednesday words youtube